- This event has passed.
Up with Climate Justice, Down with Greenhouse Gases! Boulder March and Rally
May 29, 2021 @ 11:00 am - 1:00 pm
BOULDER — This Saturday, a broad and diverse coalition of social and climate justice organizations will march through downtown Boulder, urging the Colorado Assembly to pass Senate Bill 21-200, to enforce the state’s greenhouse gas reduction goals in a just and equitable way.
Marchers plan to gather at the Boulder International Peace Garden off Canyon Blvd. At 11 a.m., proceed down Walnut St. to 17th St., returning via Pearl St. to hear speakers, including bill sponsor Sen. Faith Winter, environmental justice activist Trisha Nelson, and Representative Matt Gray. Planners chose Boulder because it is the hometown of Governor Polis, who has threatened to veto SB21-200 despite running as a climate champion.
Over 50 environmental, labor and justice groups have endorsed SB21-200, or “Reduce Greenhouse Gases, Increase Environmental Justice”. It requires the Polis Administration to implement policies to reduce the state’s greenhouse gases by the targets agreed upon in 2019: 26% by 2025 and 50% by 2030. Currently, there is nothing in place to ensure the targets are met. The bill now awaits a vote in the Senate.
- What: “Up With Climate Action, Down With Greenhouse Gases” March and Rally for Senate Bill 21-200
- Who: A grassroots coalition of climate and social justice organizations
- Where: Meet on “The Green” at 1056 Canyon Blvd. Boulder, CO 80302
- When: Saturday, May 29 from 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- March starts at 11:30 am
- Return to “The Green” for a short program of speakers at noon
- Why: To call for passage of SB21-200, assuring prompt implementation of measures to meet our greenhouse gas reduction “Roadmap” targets necessary to meet the scale of the growing climate crisis